Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Halfway Point

Well I am about halfway through the deployment now. I am pretty comfortable with doing the daily operations in the squadron. I have been an operations supervisor for about a month and just trained a new guy to be an operations supervisor, too. There is going to be a big swap of people as some guys move out and go home while their replacements show up. Among these replacements is a good friend of mine. I worked my magic to have us be roommates and also work the same shift. So I think the last half of the deployment will be even better, and will also, therefore, pass as quickly, if not faster.

My general impressions thus far: Iraq is not too bad. This base is very nice, and has a lot of things that make quality of life pretty good. My job is easy, although I wish I were doing something else (i.e. actually flying). And I am making pretty decent money while out here. Obviously the big drawback is being away from Jen (as well as everyone else) for 4 months, but all in all, I have a positive view of this deployment so far.

No comments: